This is a delicious grain free, dairy free apple and blueberry crumble, complete with date-sweetened coconut custard, perfect for a wintery evening.
Apple and blueberries
8-10 small apples, cored and quartered (600g peeled, cored weight)
200g frozen blueberries
1.5 tsp rapadura
1/2 tsp cinnamon
70g deseeded medjool dates
270ml Ayam coconut cream
30g arrowroot starch
1 tsp vanilla powder
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a small baking dish – I use a 1.5L round Tupperware Ultrapro.
2. Place all nut crumble ingredients in mixer bowl. TURBO/3 times/MC on. Remove from bowl, set aside.
3. Place apples in steaming basket and set in place inside bowl. Add 600g water. Cook for 20 minutes/100/speed 4/MC on.
4. Remove basket and discard of most of the cooking water – keep 270g of it (in the bowl) to be used in the custard.
5. Transfer apples into prepared baking dish. Add blueberries.
6. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon then add to the apples/blueberries. Stir thoroughly.
7. Top with the nut crumble mixture, ensuring an even coverage.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
9. While the Apple & Blueberry Nut Crumble is in the oven, make the custard. To the 270g reserved cooking water in mixer bowl, add the dates. Blitz for 1 minute/speed 9/MC on.
10. Add all remaining custard ingredients and cook for 8 minutes/90/speed 4/MC on.
11. Serve crumble warm or cold, with a generous covering of custard.
– To my delight (and I hope your’s too!) this is a pouring custard, even after refrigerating!
– If you’d like to make the Custard and not the Apple & Blueberry Nut Crumble, replace the cooking water with water.