This Thermomix Potato Bake is a little outside the norm of my recipes. But, what’s a girl to do when the baby growing inside her wants potato bake?
So she makes it and this new creation turns out so well that it would be a crime not to share it with people who enjoy delicious food?!
I mean, creamy, cheesy, garlicky potatoes – what’s not to love?
This Thermomix Potato Bake really is a decadent treat that once made, doesn’t last long in our home. I bet it doesn’t in your’s either!
We all love it and although this recipe makes six generous serves, the five of us usually manage to polish it off in one meal. The result = very full bellies!
If you’re feeding a crowd, you can double the recipe – see Notes underneath the recipe on how to do this.
The ingredients are simple and the preparation fairly quick. Make the sauce. Slice the potatoes. Layer the potatoes, distributing the sauce as you go. Then into the oven for baking.
Thermobexta’s Potato Bake
- 160 g vintage cheddar cheese diced 1.5cm
- 200 g brown onion quartered
- 3 garlic cloves 15g
- 10 g fresh parsley
- 20 g butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 700 g potatoes peeling is your preference
- 150 g cream
- 50 g milk
- 35 g Odds-and-Ends Vegetable Stock Concentrate
- a couple of big pinches of pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C. Set aside a 1.5L oven-safe dish.
- Place cheese in mixer bowl. Grate 4 seconds/speed 7/MC on. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place onion, garlic and parsley in mixer bowl. Chop 3 seconds/speed 6/MC on. Scrape down bowl.
- Add butter. Sauté 4 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
- Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes by either slicing with a mandolin, or using a very sharp knife to slice as thinly as possible.
- Add cream, milk, stock, pepper and 80g of the grated cheese to mixer bowl. Mix 3 seconds/speed 3/MC on.
- Cover the base of the oven-safe dish with two layers of potato slices. Dollop on 3-4 tablespoons of the cream mixture (it doesn't have to completely cover the potatoes). Top with another two layers of potato slices, then top with another 3-4 tablespoons of the cream mixture. Repeat, until all potatoes are used. Evenly pour over remaining cream mixture (there should be quite a bit left so the majority is used for the top). Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until potatoes are tender. If top begins to brown too much, cover the dish with the lid, or aluminium foil.
- Use a 3L oven-safe dish.
- At Step 2, grate 160g cheese, then remove from bowl and grate remaining 160g cheese, remove from bowl
- At step 4, increase sauté time to 6 minutes.
- Extend baking time – bake until potatoes are tender.
Please note, nutrition information is calculated via an online recipe nutrition calculator and is a guide only. It is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed 100% accurate. I am not a nutritionist or trained health professional.