These scrolls are excellent to have in the freezer ready to go into lunch boxes. Best of all – the kids won’t suspect a thing about all (or any of) the veges these contain, I promise 🙂 The great thing about this dough is that it suits a savoury or sweet filling, so change it up a bit if you like – see my recipe for Spelt Dough Scrolls for more filling ideas.
350g pumpkin, peeled, diced into 1-1.5cm cubes
2 tsp dried yeast
750g spelt flour (*see note underneath recipe for subbing this with bakers flour, if required)
2 tsp himalayan salt
1 tsp rapadura/coconut sugar/honey
250-300g Very Vege Pizza/Pasta Sauce
300g tasty cheese, diced into 1.5cm cubes
1. Place cheese in mixer bowl. Process for 8 seconds/speed 8/MC on, then remove from the bowl and set aside.
2. Place pumpkin in internal steaming basket and set in position, along with 500g water in the bowl. Steam for 15 minutes/100/speed 3/MC on.
3. Remove basket from bowl and set aside to cool a little – 20 minutes is sufficient, but don’t leave it any less than this or you could kill the yeast when you add it. Discard water left in bowl.
4. When the pumpkin has cooled down, transfer it to mixer bowl, along with the 270g water. Heat for 1.5 minutes/37/speed 1/MC on.
5. Add yeast, flour, salt and sugar. Mix for 6 seconds/speed 6/MC on, KNEAD/4 minutes/MC on.
6. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap, or wrap the dough in a thermal mat. Leave in a warm place to double in size.
7. Flour your intended work surface – this is quite a sticky dough and you will need to make sure you flour the work surface generously or the dough may stick to it.
8. Unwrap dough, transfer it to your work surface and punch the air out of it – you may need to oil your hands. Sprinkle the dough with flour and roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Spread with the pizza sauce, leaving a 1-2cm strip bare along the top long edge. Sprinkle with the majority of the cheese, leaving a little aside to sprinkle on top of the rolled scrolls. Using a plastic knife, cut the dough into 18-20 strips, then roll individual scrolls, working from bottom to top of the dough. Place each scroll onto the prepared tray as you roll them.
9. When all scrolls are rolled, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place into your cold oven. Set temperature to 200°C and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
10. When cooked, remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*If you’d like to make these with bakers flour instead of spelt flour, swap the same weight of flour and increase the water to 280g 🙂