Today I have my girls home from school with colds and thought a nice warm rice pudding would be the perfect comfort food treat for their little bellies. Well, they really loved this one, so I thought I should share the recipe. Made from staples you will have in your pantry and fruit bowl, this is pretty quick to make and very satisfying.
4 medjool dates, seeds removed
2 apples, cored (approx 200g cored weight) – no need to peel
250g coconut cream
170g arborio rice (or other short grain rice)
1 heaped tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla powder
pinch of nutmeg
30g butter (optional)
1. Place dates and 400g water in mixer bowl. Blitz for 20 seconds/speed 9/MC on.
2. Add apples. Chop for 4 seconds/speed 6/MC on.
3. Add coconut cream, rice, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg and stir thoroughly with a spatula. Cook for 16 minutes/100/reverse/speed 1/MC on.
4. Transfer cooked rice pudding to a thermal container. To this, stir through the butter, if using, until melted and well combined.
5. Serve with a swirl of coconut cream.