The idea for me to create a savoury waffle came about when a lovely Thermobexta Facebook group member, Claire, posted a photo last night of some savoury waffles she’d made her family for dinner. They looked terrific and her kids liked them but also asked if she could please not make them again for at least two years! hahah from the mouths of babes… Well that got me in the mood to eat savoury waffles, something I hadn’t eaten before but sounded like something I’d like! I’ve been wanting to create a cauliflower cheese fritter for a long time, so I combined the two ideas and have come up with this very yummy savoury waffle! Oh and I asked if Claire would like to test them out on her kids and she said she’d love to. They had them for dinner and when she asked if they’d like her to make them again sometime, the response was ‘yes… tomorrow!’
250g cauliflower, roughly chopped
30g spring onion, roughly chopped
10g parsley leaves
150g tasty cheddar cheese, diced into 2cm cubes
30g extra virgin olive oil
110g white spelt or plain flour (see tips below for gluten free)
1/2 – 3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
100g sweetcorn kernels
1. Pre-heat waffle maker while you make the batter.
2. Place all ingredients EXCEPT sweetcorn in mixer bowl. Blend for 10 seconds/speed 6/MC on. Scrape down bowl.
3. Add sweetcorn. Mix for 10 seconds/speed 3/MC on.
4. Cook as per your waffle maker instructions.
– For gluten free/lower carb waffles, replace the flour with 100g almonds and mill for 10 seconds/speed 10/MC on before commencing recipe. Increase eggs to 3. If you’d like to lower the carbs even more, you can leave out the corn. Please note, since publishing this recipe a couple of people have had issues with this version sticking to their waffle maker, others have made them successfully. I’ve made them like this numerous times in my waffle maker with no issue, but if your waffle maker is old or not non-stick, you may be better experimenting with besan flour or a GF pre-mix if you can’t have regular flour.
– This is the waffle maker I use, I really like it. This recipe makes 8 waffles in it: https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/Cuisinart-4-Slice-Belgium-Waffle-Maker (I don’t have any affiliation with Cuisinart or Kitchen Warehouse).