I do love a traditional style potato salad. But I also like to veer from the norm. This Thermomix potato salad is a refreshing change from the usual versions of this popular side dish.
Being a Greek yoghurt based dressing rather than mayonnaise keeps it on the lighter side. The caramelised onion gives a beautiful tang and sweetness.
First Things First: What We Need to Make This Thermomix Potato Salad
I like red skinned varieties of potatoes. I find they’re really versatile and do make a great potato salad.
I prefer red onion over brown in something like this. It is sweeter and lends itself more to things where onion is more than just a bit of flavour. Onion needs to shine when a recipe has it in the title!
Again this adds some sweetness and nice flavour.
Dressing Ingredients: Rapadura, Balsamic Vinegar, Yoghurt, Salt
The combination of ingredients in this dressing are sweet, sour, salty and creamy! The quantities of each ingredient is just the right amount to make a well balanced, tasty dressing that clings to the potatoes.
Caramelised Onion Potato Salad
- 800 g peeled potatoes diced 2-3cm
- 100 g red onion halved
- 100 g red capsicum roughly chopped
- 20 g olive oil
- 20 g rapadura sugar
- 20 g balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Set basket in place inside mixer bowl. Add potatoes and 500g water. Steam 12 minutes/100/speed 3/MC on. Give potatoes a stir then cook a further 8-10 minutes, until tender. Set potatoes inside. Discard water.
- To make dressing, place onion and capsicum in mixer bowl. Chop 4 seconds/speed 4/MC on.
- Add oil, sugar and vinegar. Cook 15 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC on.
- Add yogurt and salt. Combine 4 seconds/reverse/speed 3/MC on.
- Combine potatoes with dressing. Best served at room temperature.
Please note, nutrition information is calculated via an online recipe nutrition calculator and is a guide only. It is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed 100% accurate. I am not a nutritionist or trained health professional.