I do love a traditional style potato salad. But I also like to veer from the norm. This Thermomix potato salad is a refreshing change from the usual versions of this popular side dish.
Being a Greek yoghurt based dressing rather than mayonnaise keeps it on the lighter side. The caramelised onion gives a beautiful tang and sweetness.
First Things First: What We Need to Make This Thermomix Potato Salad
I like red skinned varieties of potatoes. I find they’re really versatile and do make a great potato salad.
I prefer red onion over brown in something like this. It is sweeter and lends itself more to things where onion is more than just a bit of flavour. Onion needs to shine when a recipe has it in the title!
Again this adds some sweetness and nice flavour.
Dressing Ingredients: Rapadura, Balsamic Vinegar, Yoghurt, Salt
The combination of ingredients in this dressing are sweet, sour, salty and creamy! The quantities of each ingredient is just the right amount to make a well balanced, tasty dressing that clings to the potatoes.
Caramelised Onion Potato Salad
- 800 g peeled potatoes diced 2-3cm
- 100 g red onion halved
- 100 g red capsicum roughly chopped
- 20 g olive oil
- 20 g rapadura sugar
- 20 g balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Set basket in place inside mixer bowl. Add potatoes and 500g water. Steam 12 minutes/100/speed 3/MC on. Give potatoes a stir then cook a further 8-10 minutes, until tender. Set potatoes inside. Discard water.
- To make dressing, place onion and capsicum in mixer bowl. Chop 4 seconds/speed 4/MC on.
- Add oil, sugar and vinegar. Cook 15 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC on.
- Add yogurt and salt. Combine 4 seconds/reverse/speed 3/MC on.
- Combine potatoes with dressing. Best served at room temperature.
Please note, nutrition information is calculated via an online recipe nutrition calculator and is a guide only. It is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed 100% accurate. I am not a nutritionist or trained health professional.
You might also be interested in these recipes...
Hi, I'm Bec
I specialise in great tasting vegetarian Thermomix recipes and cater for a wide range of dietary needs. I love sharing here and in my cookbooks my healthy, delicious recipes (of course the odd treat too!) Whether you’re looking to ignite your thermo mojo, or just after some new, really tasty family friendly recipes, there really is something here for everyone