I really love beetroot. Raw, roasted, steamed, grated, chopped, pureéd, it doesn’t matter to me. Here I have steamed the beetroot and added a fairly simple flavour combination and I could eat this for any meal of the day! I hope you like it.
800g beetroot, peeled, diced into 3cm cubes
50g sunflower seeds
1 spring onion, white part only (approx 12cm long)
2 sprigs of mint, leaves
70g baby spinach
50g extra virgin olive oil
30g apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Set basket in place in mixer bowl and add beetroot. Add 600g water. Cook for 40 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 4/MC on.
2. Meanwhile, toast sunflower seeds in a small frying pan until they start to change colour. Set aside to cool.
3. When beetroot is cooked, remove basket from bowl and set aside to cool – it doesn’t have to get down to room temperature, but it does need to be significantly cooler. Discard water.
4. Place the lid on empty mixer bowl. Set to speed 8 and drop spring onion and mint onto the running blades. Leave running for a few seconds then turn off and remove the lid.
5. Add beetroot, spinach, EVOO, ACV and salt and pepper to taste, as well as most of the sunflower seeds, leaving aside a few to use as garnish.
6. Process for 8 seconds/speed 4/MC on, or until all ingredients are chopped to a similar size. Transfer into a serving bowl. Crumble feta over then top then top with remaining seeds. Mix thoroughly prior to serving.
For an amazing Beetroot and Lentil Salad, check out my cookbook, Summer Meal Mix Up.