This Thermomix pumpkin soup came about a few years ago when I had an excess of pumpkins… After all, what better way is there to use a decent amount of pumpkin, than to turn it into soup?
If you’re not a fan of puree-style soups, this is the pumpkin soup for you! Traditional pumpkin soups have never appealed to me as I’m not big on purees. So I just had to create something better!
Technically, yes, the bulk of the soup is pureed, however we add texture (and nutrition!) with quinoa and baby spinach. Try it, it’s a goodie!
Pumpkin and Quinoa Soup
- 150 g brown onion quartered
- 2 garlic cloves 10g
- 20 g olive oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 150 g quinoa rinsed thoroughly
- 1 kg pumpkin peeled, deseeded, diced 2-3cm
- 50 g odds-and-ends vegetable stock paste concentrate or 2 tsp Herbamare
- 120 g baby spinach
- Place onion, garlic and oil in mixer bowl. Chop 5 seconds/speed 5/MC on. Scrape down bowl. Saute 5 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
- Add curry powder. Saute 1 minute/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
- Place quinoa in simmering basket and set in place in the bowl, along with 1.2L water. Place pumpkin in steaming attachment, using both the main section and the tray. Set in place on top of bowl. Steam 20 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 4. Remove basket and set aside.
- Add stock paste to the water in the bowl. Set steaming attachment in place again. Steam 8 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 4.
- Very carefully, transfer pumpkin into the bowl (do not remove the water before adding pumpkin). Puree 1 minute/speed 8/MC on, ensuring you turn the speed selector up slowly, as the liquid will be extremely hot.
- Add quinoa. Mix 15 seconds/reverse/speed 3/MC on.
- Place spinach in a thermal server or large bowl. Carefully pour the soup out onto the spinach. Use a large spoon or spatula to combine.
Please note, nutrition information is calculated via an online recipe nutrition calculator and is a guide only. It is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed 100% accurate. I am not a nutritionist or trained health professional.