This is a simple recipe for a really delicious cream cheese frosting in the Thermomix, for icing cupcakes or a large cake with. It has far less sugar than something like a buttercream (I do love buttercream, though!)
It makes enough cream cheese frosting for a double layered full-size cake, 24 cupcakes spread with frosting, or 12 cupcakes piped with as much frosting as my photos.
Ingredients for making Strawberry and Lime Cream Cheese Frosting in the Thermomix
These are available from the supermarket, you’ll find them with the dried fruit. Using fresh strawberries doesn’t work well due to the moisture content. These strawberries are super dry and add both flavour and colour to the frosting.
Both zest and juice are used in this cream cheese frosting – the Thermomix blitzes the zest down to nothing with the sugar and strawberries. The juice is added for a slight bit of tang.
Cream cheese is the base for this yummy frosting, making it healthier than buttercream.
Butter and Milk
These two ingredients contribute to the texture of the frosting. Butter adds to the creaminess and milk acts to thin it down a little.
The sugar sweetens the frosting. The amount of sugar in this is much less than in a buttercream and it’s all that’s needed. It’s not sickly sweet, it’s just right!
Firstly, place sugar, freeze-dried strawberries and lime zest in mixer bowl.
Blitz down to a powder, like so:
Then, add cream cheese, butter, milk and lime juice. Blend.
The cream cheese icing comes out of the Thermomix lovely and creamy and ready for piping or spreading onto your cake or cupcakes!
This recipe makes enough frosting to cover the top and sides of a double layered full-size cake, 24 cupcakes spread with frosting, or 12 cupcakes piped generously, with as much frosting as below.
Hungry for More Strawberry Recipes?
Check out this Recipe Roundup for some really awesome Thermomix recipes that use strawberries – fresh strawberries, that is.
Strawberry and Lime Cream Cheese Frosting
- 70 g caster sugar
- 20 g freeze-dried strawberries
- 3 strips of lime zest (5g)
- 250 g cream cheese at room temperature, roughly chopped
- 50 g butter
- 30 g milk
- 20 g lime juice
- Place sugar, strawberries and lime zest in clean, dry mixer bowl. Blitz 30 seconds/speed 9/MC on. Scrape down bowl. Repeat.
- Add cream cheese, butter, milk and lime juice. Blend 10 seconds/speed 5/MC on. Scrape down bowl. Repeat.
- If frosting is too thick, add a splash more milk and blend for a few seconds/speed 5/MC on.
- Scrape down bowl, then blend 30 seconds/speed 5/MC on.
- Use to ice a large cake (the one pictured is a 22cm double layer cake), or cupcakes, or use as a sweet dip for wedges of apple or strawberries.
Please note, nutrition information is calculated via an online recipe nutrition calculator and is a guide only. It is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed 100% accurate. I am not a nutritionist or trained health professional.