70g cheddar cheese, diced into 1.5cm cubes
Handful of baby spinach
12 bocconcini, halved
1 zucchini, spiralised, or grated, or peeled into strips with a vegetable peeler
1 carrot, spiralised, or grated, or peeled into strips with a vegetable peeler
Salt and pepper, to season
For the crust…
butter or extra virgin olive oil, for greasing
1 cup brown rice and quinoa – I use approximately 1/5 cup quinoa then fill the rest of the cup with brown rice, but you can use any ratio you like
20g parmesan, diced into 1.5cm cubes
2 garlic cloves
For the caramelised onion…
1 large brown onion, peeled, halved sliced
10g coconut oil (or other oil of your choice)
15g rapadura or coconut sugar
15g balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a pie dish or deep quiche dish.
2. Place cheddar cheese in mixer bowl. Blitz for 3 seconds/speed 8/MC on. Transfer to a small bowl, set aside until you are putting the pie together.
3. To make the crust, place Parmesan and garlic in mixer bowl. Chop for 6 seconds/speed 7/MC on. Transfer to a small bowl, set aside.
4. Place rice and quinoa in the internal basket and thoroughly rinse under running water. Set basket in place inside mixer bowl. Add 1.2L water and cook for 35 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 4/MC on.
5. Remove basket and set aside. Discard water.
6. Place the cooked rice/quinoa, Parmesan/garlic mixture and egg into mixer bowl. Combine for 10 seconds/reverse/speed 4/MC on.
7. Press this rice mixture into the prepared pie dish. Bake for 10 minutes, or until just starting to brown. While crust is cooking, prepare the caramelised onion.
8. Place onion and oil in mixer bowl. Cook for 3 minutes/steaming temperature/reverse/speed 1/MC off.
9. Add sugar and vinegar and cook for 15 minutes/steaming temperature/reverse/speed 1/MC off.
10. Spread caramelised onion onto the rice crust as evenly as you can. Top this with baby spinach, then the bocconcini (cut side down), then zucchini and carrot, then the cheddar cheese you grated in step 1.
11. Place eggs and milk in mixer bowl, with enough salt and pepper to season to your liking. Beat for 10 seconds/speed 3/MC on. Pour this on top of the other ingredients in the pie crust. It will appear there is not enough liquid at this stage. Don’t worry, it will work!
12. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and when you gently push the middle, it springs back and you can’t see raw egg mixture seeping out. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.