This recipe also appears in my cookbook, Thermobexta: Main Meals Made Easy, which you can check out here.
I am really excited about this! I stopped buying tomato sauce a few years ago and haven’t had store bought since but if my memory serves me correctly, this tastes just like it. I have made many different tomato sauce recipes over that time, some are really good. But yesterday I decided it was time I came up with my own mix. This is the result and I hope you love it too!
1 red capsicum
2 cloves garlic
80g tomato paste
100g apple cider vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp mustard powder
pinch of ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large tray with baking paper.
2. Remove the hard outer top piece of the core from all tomatoes. Cut around the top green stem of the capsicum then remove core, ensuring you remove all seeds.
3. Place tomatoes, capsicum, onion and garlic on the tray – no need to cut anything up or peel the onion or garlic. Roast for 25 minutes, or until the tomato skins are splitting and the capsicum is going black in some places. Leave to cool then roughly peel everything. Do not discard any water from the tray that has come out of the tomatoes.
4. Into mixer bowl place roast veggies (and any liquid on the roasting tray), tomato paste, vinegar, salt and spices. Cook for 30 minutes/100/speed 2/MC on.
5. Add honey and cook for a further 20 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 2/MC on.
6. Blend for 1 minute/speed 9/MC on, ensuring you turn the speed dial up slowly.
7. Pour into sterilised jars or bottles. Water bathe for maximum shelf life. Store in a cool, dark place and transfer to the fridge after opening.