This is a hearty, delicious soup that will fill and warm your insides on the coldest of winters days!
175g yellow split peas, soaked for 12 hours then drained and rinsed well
600g cauliflower, broken into large florets
oil or ghee, for roasting
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
200g brown onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves
5g fresh turmeric, peeled
10g ginger, peeled
1.5 tsp himalayan salt
0.5 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
1 batch of Turmeric, Chilli, Garlic Fast Infused EVOO, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a tray with parchment paper.
2. Place cauliflower on tray, drizzle with oil or melted ghee. Bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway, then cut into small florets. (You can get on with the rest of the recipe while this roasts).
3. Into mixer bowl, place cumin, coriander, fenugreek and cardamom. Toast for 5 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off. Mill for 30 seconds/speed 9/MC on – the spices won’t be a powder at this point.
4. Add onion, garlic, turmeric, ginger and ghee. Chop for 5 seconds/speed 6/MC on. Scrape down sides of bowl. Cook for 5 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
5. Add split peas and water. Cook for 30 minutes/100/speed 2/MC on.
6. Add roasted cauliflower, salt and pepper and blitz for 15 seconds/speed 5/MC on, ensuring you increase speed slowly. Cook for 10 minutes/100/speed 2/MC on.
7. Taste and season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Blitz for 30 seconds/speed 7/MC on, ensuring you increase speed slowly.
8. Serve in bowls on its own, with a couple of teaspoons on top of each of my Turmeric, Chilli, Garlic Fast Infused EVOO.