Well this was a throw together after realising I had no food in the house to feed my kids for afternoon tea today. I had a bowl full of limes and started thinking about good combinations. Lime and coconut won and this little beauty was born. I’m going to say it is possibly even better than my Brilliant Blueberry Lemon Loaf and I really love that one.
For the cake…
1 lime, zest and juice
100g coconut sugar
300g Greek yogurt (coconut yogurt for dairy free)
50g butter (coconut oil for dairy free)
150g unbleached white spelt flour
90g desiccated coconut
3 tsp baking powder
For the lime syrup…
75g coconut sugar
1.5-2 limes, juice only (you need 50g lime juice)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Use a vegetable peeler to remove zest from the lime, then add the strips of zest to mixer bowl, along with the sugar. Blitz for 20 seconds/speed 8/MC on. Scrape down sides of bowl.
3. Add yogurt, butter, eggs and lime juice. Process for 10 seconds/speed 5/MC on.
4. Add flour, coconut, baking powder. Combine for 10 seconds/speed 4/MC on.
5. Pour into prepared tin, bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
6. When the cake is almost cooked, make the lime syrup by placing sugar and lime juice in mixer bowl. Heat for 3 minutes/80/speed 2/MC off.
7. Drizzle lime syrup onto loaf whilst still in the tin, pick up the tin and gently move it to completely coat the surface.
8. Leave to cool for 15 minutes before removing from tin and placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
This cake is divine served warm with a dollop of cream or ice cream, as a pudding!