Thermomix makes light work of a great Spinach Cob Loaf Dip filling! My version here is really very delicious and without the common inclusion of packet soup mix, yet jam packed full of flavour, it is a great choice. A decadent showstopper perfect for wowing friends and family at social gatherings, I am sharing this recipe in perfect timing for Christmas celebrations.
Some other great recipes for entertaining, are:
Thermobexta’s Jalapeño Cheese Ball
Thermobexta’s Festive Cheese Ball
Thermobexta’s Roasted Capsicum and Macadamia Dip
Thermobexta’s Green Olive and Butter Bean Dip
Thermobexta’s Roast Beetroot and Cashew Dip
Seed and Grain Crackers, Garden Vegetable Dip, French Onion Dip, Avocado Dip, all which can be found in Lunches and Snacks Made Easy
Carrot Fritter, Hummus and a huge array of amazing salads, such as Greek Rice Salad, Summer Couscous Salad, Green Goddess Salad, Pesto Potato Salad, Maple Roasted Pumpkin with Walnut Dukkah to name just a few, all which can be found in Summer Meal Mix Up
Please see underneath the recipe for gluten free, dairy free, vegan variations.
1 x 400-450g cob loaf
25g fresh basil
150g red onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves (20g)
30g olive oil
250g cream cheese, diced
200g sour cream
250g frozen spinach, defrosted, excess liquid squeezed out
20g vegetable stock paste concentrate
pepper, to taste
1 x 225g tin sliced water chestnuts, drained, diced small
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C. Slice the top off the cob loaf. Scoop out the inside, tearing the bread you remove into chunks to dip with later. Place hollowed out cob loaf in the middle of a tray and arrange the chunks of bread and top piece around it. Bake 10-15 minutes, until toasty, then remove from the oven. While the bread bakes, prepare the filling.
2. Place basil in mixer bowl. Chop 5 seconds/speed 7/MC on. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Place onion and garlic in mixer bowl. Chop 4 seconds/speed 5/MC on. Scrape down bowl.
4. Add oil. Saute 6 minutes/steaming temperature/speed soft/MC off.
5. Add cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, spinach, stock paste and pepper. Combine 15 seconds/speed 4/MC on. Scrape down bowl, then heat 6 minutes/90/speed 2/MC on.
6. Add water chestnuts and reserved basil. Combine 4 seconds/speed 4/MC on. Pour into cob loaf. Serve warm.
GF Instead of serving warm dip inside a cob loaf, serve from a bowl. Use veggie sticks and gluten free crackers for dipping.
DF / V Omit cream cheese and sour cream. Cover 200g raw cashews with boiling water before commencing Step 1. After Step 4, remove onion mixture to a small bowl and set aside. Replace Steps 5 and 6 with the following: Drain cashews and discard the water they were soaking in. Place cashews, 180g water, stock paste and 50g lemon juice in mixer bowl. Blend 1 minute/speed 9/MC on, stopping as needed to scrape down bowl. Add onion mixture, spinach, vegan mayonnaise (Magic Mayonnaise from Lunches and Snacks Made Easy, or store bought) and pepper. Mix 10 seconds/speed 4/MC on. Scrape down bowl, then heat 5 minutes/90/speed 2/MC on. Add water chestnuts and reserved basil. Combine 4 seconds/speed 4/MC on. Pour into cob loaf. Serve warm.
TIPS To make in advance, skip Step 1 and skip the heating component of Step 5. Make dip and store in the fridge. Heat cob loaf and dip when needed.