This is a simple cake to whip up when unexpected visitors call to say they’re on the way! You can serve it on its own, or with icing. My preference is un-iced, spread with butter, yum!
120g solid coconut oil (or butter)
100g pitted medjool dates (pitted weight)
200g almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
250g wholmeal spelt flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of himalayan salt
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line a cake tin or large loaf tin.
2. Place coconut oil, dates and honey in mixer bowl. Blitz for 10 seconds/speed 4/MC on. Scrape down sides of bowl.
3. Set butterfly in place on blades. Beat for 2 minutes/speed 4/MC on. Scrape down sides of bowl.
4. Set blades to speed 3 and add eggs, one at a time, allowing 20 seconds in between each addition. Remove butterfly. Scrape down sides of bowl.
5. Add milk, flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt. Beat for 20 seconds/reverse/speed 5/MC on.
6. Transfer mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before icing or cutting and buttering.