This vegetarian curry Thermomix recipe is a really flavoursome meal that’s quick to make and very versatile.
As far as curries go, it’s pretty quick to make and is much healthier than ordering in. In fact you could probably make it and have it served up faster than you could order and receive an UberEats curry!
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is *usually made from fermented soy beans. They are cooked then a starter culture is introduced and it’s all left to ferment. The end product is compressed into a block.
It’s a nutrient-dense food, high in protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
You can find in the fridge or freezer of most supermarkets nowadays. I highly recommend choosing organic tempeh, like this one, as soy is commonly genetically modified. However, organic ingredients are not.
*As above, tempeh is most commonly made from soybeans, however, it can be made from other legumes, like chickpeas. Soy-free tempeh is generally fairly difficult to come by.
There is one that has become more readily available in the last year or so, but I’ve bought it a couple of times and they’ve not been great experiences unfortunately.
Pumpkin and Tempeh Curry
This delicious vegetarian curry is mild, yet so very flavoursome!
- 150 g onion quartered
- 4 garlic cloves 20g
- 20 g olive oil or coconut oil
- 2.5 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mild paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 400 g tin crushed tomatoes
- 270 ml tin coconut cream
- 50 g tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 g butternut pumpkin diced 3cm
- 200-300 g tempeh 2cm cubes (or 400g tin chickpeas, drained, rinsed)
- 150 g frozen baby peas
- rice or cauliflower rice torn coriander leaves, chapati, to serve
Place onion and garlic in mixer bowl. Chop for 5 seconds/speed 5/MC on. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add oil. Saute for 4 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
Add coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, paprika and cardamom, ensuring you place between the blades. Saute for 1 minute/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
Set butterfly in place on blades. Add tomatoes, coconut cream, tomato paste and salt. Cook for 15 minutes/100/speed 1/MC on.
Add pumpkin and tempeh. Cook for 10 minutes/100/reverse/speed soft/MC on.
Add peas. Cook for 3 minutes/100/reverse/speed soft/MC on.
Serve in bowls with rice or cauliflower rice and chapati. Garnish with torn coriander.
1. Feel free to swap the pumpkin and tempeh for other ingredients such as sweet potato, chickpeas, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. If using harder veggies such as potato and/or carrots, increase cooking time at step 5 and cook until tender. 2. For those that eat chicken, my partner thinks it would be awesome in this. If using chicken, add at step 5 and ensure the chicken is cooked through before serving. 3. Nutritional info does not include serving suggestions.
Serving: 1serve | Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 885mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5974IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 5mg
Please note, nutrition information is calculated via an online recipe nutrition calculator and is a guide only. It is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed 100% accurate. I am not a nutritionist or trained health professional.
Please rate it and leave feedback in the comments section below, or mention @Thermobexta or tag #Thermobexta on Instagram.