This Spicy Tomato and Lentil Soup recipe is made so simply in the Thermomix. It is a fabulous way to warm up on the coldest of days!
Full of veggies, nutrient packed and on the table in half an hour, I only created this recipe today but can already tell it’s going to be a regular around here on busy weekdays.
It uses a lovely mix of herbs and spices, a good dose of veggies and a squeeze of lemon at the end to lift the flavours.
This lentil soup is a hearty Thermomix meal, that can be left chunky, or blended down to a smooth consistency if preferred.
How to Make Tomato and Lentil Soup in the Thermomix
Here’s a visual for you, scroll to the bottom for the printable recipe card, which gives quantities and the full method.
First, place onion and garlic in mixer bowl. Chop.
Now add oil and saute. Then add ground cumin and ground coriander and saute.
Next, add capsicum, zucchini, carrot and celery. Chop.
Now, add tinned tomatoes, lentils, paprika, chilli, thyme and stock paste. Then, add water up to the 2L mark inside the bowl. Cook 25 minutes.
After this cooking time, the lentils and vegetables will be soft and the soup is almost ready. Add some fresh lemon juice – this lifts the flavours.
Now, blitz for a few seconds. This adds a little creaminess, yet leaves plenty of texture.
If you like, you can make up a quick batch of croutons to serve on top of the soup.
To do this, just dice up a couple of pieces of bread and drizzle with a little olive oil. Crack over some salt and pepper and place under a hot grill until golden.
I actually think this might be my new favourite soup…
More Recipes to Warm Up With
There are so many Bexta recipes that fit the ‘winter warmers’ bill! Here are a few of my favourites:
I also have an entire cookbook filled with winter warmer recipes. Feel Good Food Made Easy is a collection of recipes just perfect for this time of the year (and beyond)! It includes a great selection of breakfasts, soups, dinners and desserts and I cook from it heavily during the cooler months.
In the next week or so I’ll be doing up a Recipe Roundup of the best of the best when it comes to Thermomix soups!
To make sure you don’t miss out on that one, make sure you keep an eye out here on the blog, or in the Facebook group. It’s also a good idea to subscribe to our newsletter (scroll to the very bottom of the page to sign up). I don’t send newsletters out very often but it’s a good way to keep up with what’s happening.
Spicy Tomato and Red Lentil Soup
- 150 g brown onion quartered
- 5 garlic cloves 25g
- 30 g olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 100 g red capsicum roughly chopped
- 100 g zucchini roughly chopped
- 100 g carrot roughly chopped
- 70 g celery roughly chopped
- 400 g tin crushed tomatoes
- 150 g split red lentils
- 70 g Odds-and-Ends Vegetable Stock Concentrate
- a couple sprigs fresh thyme or 0.5 tsp dried thyme
- 0.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8-1/2 tsp chilli powder Note 1
- water about 800g
- 20 g lemon juice
- Place onion and garlic in mixer bowl. Chop 4 seconds/speed 5/MC on. Scrape down bowl.
- Add oil. Saute 4 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
- Add coriander and cumin. Saute 1 minute/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
- Add capsicum, zucchini, carrot and celery. Chop 6 seconds/speed 6/MC on. Scrape down bowl.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, stock, thyme, paprika and chilli. Add water, to reach 2L mark inside the bowl. Cook 25 minutes/100/speed 2/MC on.
- Add lemon juice. Blend a little, 4 seconds/speed 6/MC on, ensuring you turn the speed dial up slowly. This will leave the soup with plenty of texture and thicken it up slightly.
Please note, nutrition information is calculated via an online recipe nutrition calculator and is a guide only. It is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed 100% accurate. I am not a nutritionist or trained health professional.