This is a fantastic, soft and fluffy everyday bread! It makes a large loaf – you will need a 900g bread tin, or two smaller tins. You can use any mix of seeds, just stick to the 150g combined weight of them.
200g wheat grain
400g lukewarm water
3 tsp dried yeast
450g bakers flour
150g seeds – for the loaf pictured I used 50g linseeds, 30g buckwheat, 30g sunflower seeds, 20g pepitas, 20g black sesame seeds
30g macadamia oil (or oil of your choice)
2 teaspoons natural bread improver (see note under recipe)
2 tsp salt
1. Place wheat grain in mixer bowl. Mill for 2 minutes/speed 9/MC on. Remove from bowl, set aside.
2. Add (in this order) water, yeast, flour, seeds, oil, honey, bread improver and salt. KNEAD/6 minutes/MC on.
3. Transfer dough to either a silicon bread mat or a large oiled bowl. Either wrap in the mat or cover the bowl with glad wrap and leave in a warm place to double in size.
4. When dough has doubled in size, knock all air out of it. Transfer dough to bread tin, spray the top with water from a spray bottle (this assists with a crunchy crust) and if you would like seeds on top, sprinkle them on now. Cover the top of your bread tin and leave to double in size again.
5. When dough has doubled in size, the bread is ready to cook. Spray the surface with water again then place the bread tin into your oven (do not preheat oven when making bread). Turn oven on to 200°C and cook for 30 minutes from the time you close the oven door.
6. When cooked, turn bread out onto a cooling rack immediately, this will prevent your crust from going soggy.
Bread improver is not essential in bread making, but it does help produce a very nice loaf of bread that will stay fresh for longer. You can find natural ones in health food stores and at specialty bread shops, I recommend these over the ones you can get at the supermarket, which are loaded with nasties. The brands I recommend, are Simply No Knead, All About Bread and Demeter Farm Mills.