I originally developed this recipe for my meat-free Thermomix tacos a few years ago and it was very popular! Along with many other recipes here on my blog, as more and more recipes were added and my cookbooks became available, hidden gems like this one got a bit lost. I thought that bringing some of them back to the top would be a great idea to get you cooking them again. Thermomix tacos on the table in under 20 minutes, this is such a great meal for busy families and always popular with the little ones, as you can put all the fillings out and let them fill their own tacos! I love using my Tupperware Serving Centre to hold the fillings, it’s a great use for an otherwise under-utilised item.
100g brown onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves (10g)
20g olive oil
250g vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
300g tempeh, roughly chopped
60g tomato paste
2 Tbsp (20g) Bexta’s Mexi Mix (this recipe is in Summer Meal Mix Up, if you don’t yet have this book, you can substitute with Skinnymixer’s Mexican Spice Mix)
taco shells, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, grated cheese and sour cream, for serving (for dairy free/vegan, omit cheese and sour cream; for grain free, use lettuce leaves in place of taco shells)
1. Place onion, garlic and oil in mixer bowl. Chop 5 seconds/speed 5/MC on. Scrape down bowl, then cook 5 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 1/MC off.
2. Add tomatoes and tempeh. Chop 5 seconds/speed 4/MC on. Scrape down bowl.
3. Add tomato paste, Mexican seasoning and tamari. Cook 10 minutes/100/speed 1/MC on.
4. Pre-heat your taco shells, then stuff with the fillings!
– For a great dairy free / vegan cheese sauce, try my recipe in More Main Meals Made Easy, it will go really well in these!
– For something different, pile all the fillings into a bowl and serve ‘naked’ without the taco shells.